One great thing about these little tarts is they are meant to be eaten with your hands and eating with your hands is just so much fun; ask anyone under the age of 10 and they will most likely agree. As a result of them being of handheld size they also are perfectly portion controlled – bonus! Not that you actually need to worry about eating too many of these because they are a vitamin, mineral and antioxidant powerhouse of a dessert.
There is protein, fiber and omega-3’s from the nuts and seeds, potassium from the bananas and an assortment of antioxidants in the blueberries. These little tarts are made from whole foods and void of anything unnatural or nutrient deficient making them a great start to the day, the perfect afternoon ‘pick me up’ or a healthy post workout recovery snack (And, obviously, a wonderful dessert). Try these at your next dinner party, afternoon tea with your girlfriends or in your kid’s school lunches. Enjoy!
Blueberry Banana Cream Filled Tarts
Benefits: loaded with anti-aging antioxidants, fiber to keep you full and potassium for muscle and workout recovery.
- 1/2 cup almonds- soaked
- 1/2 cup medjool dates- soaked
- 1/2 Tbsp agave or honey or maple syrup- optional
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon- optional
- 1 large banana
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp seed mixture- chia seeds, hemp seeds, flax seeds- optional
- 1 tsp vanilla
Blueberries, shredded coconut, anything else your heart desires 🙂
- Add the almonds and dates into a food processor and process until a crumbly mixture forms that sticks together. If you are using the optional ingredients mix in with a spoon.
- Divide up your crust into 3 parts and press them into the base of a cupcake mold or cupcake liner and press up the sides to form a bowl. Place in the refrigerator.FILLING
- Place all the ingredients for the filling in the processor and blend until a creamy consistency is achieved. You might have some left over filling. Save for a smoothie or enjoy later.
- Fill your tarts with the banana cream filling and place in the freezer for 25 minutes until slightly hard.
- Remove tarts from cupcake liners and garnish to your liking with blueberries and coconut – or whatever else your heart desires!