There aren’t too many health benefits in traditional Neapolitan ice cream. It is loaded with sugar, corn syrup, food coloring, artificial flavoring, and fattening cream in addition to carrageenan, guar gum, and mono & diglycerides. Although there is absolutely nothing wrong with treating yourself to a little ice cream or dessert there is no reason why it has to be unhealthy. It is quite the opposite actually. Raw and vegan desserts are made with 100% wholesome ingredients, all of which you will recognize and be able to pronounce.
These Neapolitan Ice Cream Cubes are not actually ice cream but trust me when I tell you they are creamy, delicious and seriously nutritious. They are loaded with minerals like zinc, magnesium, copper and phosphorus. Nutrients like protein, fiber and healthy fats. And the benefits include but are not limited to better digestion, a healthy heart, stronger bones and natural energy. They are gluten free, refined sugar free and dairy free. These Ice Cream cubes are a dessert you can eat and feel good about it. Go on now, treat yourself!
Neapolitan Ice Cream Cubes Recipe
Makes 9 cubes
Raw Cacao Crust Layer
- 1 cup raw almonds – soaked
- 1 cup dates- pitted
- 1-2 Tbs raw cacao powder
- Pinch of pink salt
- Vegan milk or coconut water, as needed
Ice Cream Base
- 2 cups cashews- soaked
- 1 cup dates
- 1 banana
- Juice of one lemon
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
Coconut Vanilla Layer
- 1/2 Ice Cream base
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup dried coconut pieces
- ½ Ice Cream base
- ½ cup fresh raspberries
- *1/4 cup cranberry sauce or fresh or dried cranberries- (I used store bought sauce from a specialty market)
- If using fresh cranberries add ¼ cup sweetener of choice to sweeten- agave, maple, honey
- To make the crust: place the almonds in the processor and blend until a fine meal forms. Add the remaining ingredients and process until a sticky dough forms. Press into the bottom of a lined (using foil or plastic wrap) 4×4 square pan, baking dish to Tupperware. Place in freezer.
- To make the Ice cream: place all ingredients in blender or processor and grind until a smooth consistency is achieved. Divide evenly in two batches and set aside.
- To make the Coconut Vanilla layer stir in the remaining ingredients by hand. Pour on top of the crust and place back in the freezer for 30minuets to 1 hour.
- To make the Cran-Raspberry layer: put remaining ice cream base in blender or process with the remaining ingredients and blend until well combined and smooth. Pour on top of the vanilla layer and place in the freezer for at least 3-4 hours. Overnight is best. *Cranberries are sometimes hard to find so feel free to use strawberry or 100% raspberries or your fruit of choice instead.
Remove from pan, cut into 9 small square pieces by cutting in half, then half again and so on to form cubes. Decorate to your liking and enjoy. I used shredded coconut and cacao nibs and extra cranberry sauce.
You can also make this into a cake by using a 6 inch springform pan and can substitute strawberries for the cranberries if they are out of season or hard to find. Be creative- you can really make this dessert your own!