Ever had that feeling when you move into a new place, or when someone moves out, that the space just does not feel quite right? One easy thing to do which may help clear the space, and lift it’s vibe- is burning sage with good intention. Burning sage is one of the oldest and purest methods of cleansing a person, a group of people or a space. From the ancient Celtic druids, Indigenous Peoples of the Amazon to the modern home, the way we see and feel in our space is important to our everyday lives. This technique has been tried and tested throughout history and can be carried out at anytime of the year. It’s a nice ritual to do annually for you and your family. Sage smells wonderfully earthy, as opposed to the chemical loaded air fresheners. Sage, or ‘Salvia’ in Latin stems from the word ‘to heal’ and it’s often thought that when burning sage, it can give you wisdom, clarity and increase your spiritual awareness.
How to cleanse your space with sage
Sage burning/ cleansing rituals are simple and it’s important to set your intention before you begin. If you are burning sage to purify a space, or a person (even yourself) then you need to be clear on your intention. Think positive thoughts before and during your cleansing process. Be careful not to breathe in the smoke directly, and try not to fill the area too thickly with smoke, as this is supposed to be a gentle, cleansing exercise.
- You will need a sage smudge stick, which looks something like this picture and can get one here White Sage Smudge Stick 2-Pack
- Make sure your house is well ventilated before you begin – open windows and doors for airflow
- Light the stick, and when it catches fire, blow it out and allow the embers to start to gently smoke
- Set your intention for each room and walk around waving the the stick into each corner (concentrate on gateway areas, such as windows, doors, closets, as well as hallways). Imagine the smoke absorbing any negativity and replacing it with positivity and lots of your love.
- When finished, extinguish the stick in the cup of water
That’s it. An easy way to cleanse your space and fill it with your positive loving energy. This is a good practice to do with the whole family- get the kids to dance around with you in each room saying or singing positive words or get them to communicate to you the happy thoughts they want for the various rooms! Most of all- just have fun with it (you might be surprised by what the kids have to say). What a great way to practice family bonding, along with your spring cleaning! We think it’s a practice that should be handed down to the next generation and one that creates happy memories of silly dancing, love and light. (Adding a few unicorns into the mix might not hurt either!)